<VV> 63 Glove box door

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Sun Aug 10 23:27:57 EDT 2008

I'm pretty sure this was written up in the Communiqué somewhere but I cannot
find it offhand.

Anyway, this is how I did it:

1.    Remove the metal backing from the chromed front bezel (actually
chromed pot metal) by carefully grinding off the heads of the “rivets” with
a Dremel tool.  You want to only remove the head, leaving the stub of the
rivet flush with the top of the metal backing.

2.    The door will separate into three parts (two if from a 500): the pot
metal chrome bezel, the anodized aluminum faceplate (absent on 500), and the
steel backing plate.  Now is a good time to re-chrome the Bezel, clean the
faceplate, and repaint the backing plate.

3.    Next you need to make absolutely certain you have straightened the
bezel so all the rivet stubs line up perfectly in their respective holes.
This step is VERY IMPORTANT (don’t ask me how I know).

4.    Now, with the backing plate laying on the bezel, all rivet stubs in
their respective holes, you need to drill a pilot hole in each stub.  For
this procedure, you need a 3/64” (or #42) drill bit and a very steady hand.
You are only going to drill to a depth of about 3/16”; if you go too deep
you will penetrate the front surface of the bezel.  I suggest placing a mark
or stop on the drill to guide you.

5.    Reinstall the three parts of the dash using eight Stainless Steel
Phillips Pan Head Type A Sharp Point Sheet Metal Screws size #4 x 1/4" L
http://tinyurl.com/6eeuzk.

This is a fairly easy task, but you need a steady hand to drill the holes or
you might ruin the bezel, so you might want to practice on a “junk” door
first.  The end result looks very nice and only an expert would know that
the screws are not original, as the heads are almost the same size as the
original rivet heads.

Bill Hubbell