<VV> Performance carb questions

Brad Waddell bradwaddell at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 12 22:48:23 EDT 2008

Got some questions involving some Carbs I had built my someone that ive had
nothing but issues with since who should also not be doing performance carb
builds. Some of you may remember me from the Detroit show sitting in the
parking lot bumming tools so I could fix the float level in the
primaries(blamed on shipping,right.)  The Bowls and Venturi Clusters were
modified and the secondaries are venturied and bored, Jets relocated(some
question here but it seems to perform correctly in corners but I don't
really feel like tearing them down just to check) There were vent tubes
installed but they were done cheaply with brass Freon tubes about the size
of a bic pen refill tube, so pretty much useless.  It was a mistake but we
all learn.  There are primaries on all for spots with the idle circuit shut
off on the ones in the secondary position.  Im slowly getting them running
better and it pulls pretty well but here is where my question is:

When in gets into the secondaries it seems like its not getting enough fuel,
it stops pulling quite early into the secondaries, which are opening all the
way and evenly, I have no idea what jet is in them but what would be the
recommendation for the secondary jet size? And Primaries for that matter.
Some level of streetablity is desired but im performance minded.

The engine is modified as follows,

Bored .060 over

The carbs as above

Otto Air Filters

Full header system with flowmaster 40s and monza tips

What would be the best range of jets for this set up?

Also once I go in there to change jets, how can I tell if they have actually
been relocated?

It's a shame that I paid so much for these and have been rebuilding them
ever since.

Thanks for your help

Brad