<VV> major oil leak in newly rebuilt 110 PG in a 66 Monza

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 13 22:22:05 EDT 2008

Paper gasket is my gasket of choice.

While you have the pan down, be sure to flatten out the bolt areas since
they tend to stretch up toward the block when over tightened.  When
installing the new gasket, a VERY thin coat of RTV is appropriate on the
block and the pan.  Don't let any portion of it hang over on the inside as
you don't want RTV in your oil system.

It can also be helpful to have flat washers under the bolts as this helps
spread the "load" and you get less flex of the pan under the bolts.

Consider it a learning experience.

Later, JR