<VV> Importance of seat belts, was: Woman killed in Corvair accident

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 17 16:10:39 EDT 2008

(Article edited for brevity)

First let me express my sympathies to the family. Also let me say that I
don't mean to distract from the impact (no pun intended) such a tragic
accident will have on them.

However, this should offer a good lesson for anyone out there who 1)doesn't
wear seat belts, or 2) doesn't have them in their car, regardless of its
vintage. No antique car club that I know of discourages the installation of
seat belts in ANY antique car, no matter what vintage it is. Regardless, so
many antique cars don't have seat belts retrofitted to them. This is a
dangerous situation, as this accident shows that accidents can happen at
any time, and even to the most carefully driven antique car.

Therefore, I think that maybe this is a good opportunity for CORSA as a
club to lead the way in requiring working seat belts for all passengers in
ALL vehicles that are entered in any of its events. I think it would allow
something positive to happen as a result of this tragedy.

-Mark

Avenue
> and Twin Branch Elementary School, when he veered across the centerline
and
> struck an eastbound vehicle nearly head-on, said Mishawaka Police Capt.
Tim