<VV> IMPORTANCE OF SEAT BELTS

Arlette Carl arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 18 04:23:33 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I simply have to add my comments with respect to seat (safety belts).

Australia where I live was the first country in the world to introduce a law requiring all new cars to be fitted with seat (safety) belts and forcing the occupants of those cars to wear those seat belts.

In Australia from late 1966 all new cars had to be fitted with seat (safety) belts. All cars built prior to 1966 had to be retro fitted with seat (safety) belts before the then current owners could sell them or trade them to the next owner.

So the only vehicles on Australian roads that might not have seat belts today are the few that might not have changed ownership since late in 1966. It's my guess they would only be a handful if any.

So after 40+ years we have almost two generations of people who have never experienced cars without seat belts. I am 57 years old and even my parents generation before me would have had difficulty believing people anywhere in the world even consider travelling in a car without seat (safety) belts.

I have made many trips to the U.S.A. and the one thing that I have difficulty understanding why there are still Americans who refuse to wear a seat (safety) belt. I recall in one trip I visited a Chevrolet car nut who's day job was a Highway Patrol man (Police Officer).

On this trip I was a passenger in his private vehicle I put the seat belt on without even thinking. It was simply automatic to me. His comment to me was "don't you trust my driving" and this was a Policeman!

As for installing seat (safety) belts in our 1965 Monza convertible. I am installing four (4) lap belts of the original design (using Deluxe buckles). I am also using the 1967-69 Corvair outboard front seat factory retractors as this keeps the belts rolled up. I appreciate that a full harness would be even better but mounting points are a problem in convertibles.

In the end any seat (safety) belt is better than no seat belt. In an accident if you are held securely in the car then your chance of living goes up by 70%.

Australia's road toll over the past 40 years just continues to drop while our population continues to grow. Currently less that 400 people die each year on Australian roads. And remember Australia is the same size as continental U.S.A. We drive long distances in Australia.

Come on U.S.A. wear those seat (safety) belts and fit them to vehicles that don't have them.

CARL L. KELSEN
1965 CHEVROLET RIGHT HAND DRIVE CORVAIR MONZA CONVERTIBLE
MELBOURNE, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA