<VV> Requirement of seat belts by CORSA for events /

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 18 12:14:28 EDT 2008

                                                      B"H

Based on the studies in the literature I've read, shoulder belts DO have an essential function; they restrain the occupant from smashing into either the steering column (driver) or dashboard/windshield (front passenger).  I also read an account of how REAR shoulder belts also saved occupants from otherwise severe injuries, even if the seat in front is padded.

Many Vair folks are aware that for 1969, ALL Corvairs, including the Monza convertible, were available with shoulder belts FRONT and REAR!  Perhaps by examining the anchor points on a fully belt-equipped '69 convertible (and they ARE out there; the '69 group can give you some leads here no doubt), at the very least, all Late cars can be retrofitted for the full belt treatment.  I would even venture to say that an Early could also be outfitted with the belts as well assuming there is sheet metal in the same locations.  True, they wouldn't be Federally certified, but anything restraining occupants from smashing into what's in front of them, has got to be of some benefit at least.

Since most of our Corvairs are not concours show vehicles or trailer queens, it would beehoveth us to retrofit them with the best possible safety features modern technology allows for an older car.  Personally, my car has an after market rear defroster and 3rd brake light in the rear window for those very reasons.  The defroster is a godsend on a rainy day when the windows fog up and it's raining in buckets outside, and the bright 3rd brake light supplements the low-mounted stock taillights...Bill Hershkowitz 69 Monza 110 PG