<VV> FC block question...for you historians

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Mon Aug 18 13:27:03 EDT 2008

have a block i just took apart for the block only. it had 145 cu in  guts in
it , early 80hp stuff.  it is a TO606V in very small type.  it  looks factory
, except it had been rebuilt with a 010 crank etc. it had  mismatched years of
low hp heads. the thing that has me puzzled is the block  itself. it had
early crank etc , but is factory cut for long stroke. the casting  has the extra
oil fill hole tapped out and plugged with a pipe plug..looks  factory?  i know
a lot were cast like this , but never saw one drilled  before. also the left
side lower flange has drilled , threaded holes on the  lower flange , like
where the 60 choke ring thermostat mounted??  looks  factory also.
if i send someone who is a good historian of this type , can they explain  it
to us?
i hate to use it , but i am about to load it with new parts for a 110ish
engine for FC use.
the only other one i have is in someone else's van and is a old engine i
will have to hog out for the 164 cu in stuff.
i have several detail pictures to share.  maybe i can get them put on  our
website ( _http://www.cnycorvair.com/CNYCorvair.php_
(http://www.cnycorvair.com/CNYCorvair.php)  )   somehow soon.
regards, tim colson

Read reviews on AOL Autos.