<VV> Concours Rules

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 18 14:05:42 EDT 2008

That's exactly the interpretation I had in mind when I wrote the rule back
in '74. Back then, modifications were counted to determine the class.
Regardless, it was not meant to be interpreted such that a competitor would
have to remove them in order to be in concours. Besides, nowadays, the way
the awards are set up (gold, silver, bronze) class means nothing (except
for the Preservation award, which is only available to stock cars). So in
reality, CORSA could eliminate classifying cars altogether, with the
exception of qualifying cars for stock class.

The bottom line is, ANY car would/should have belts in it, regardless of
whether it was so equipped from the factory or not. And no competition,
even concours, will take a negative view of them (i.e. a '60 model with
front and rear belts). That is true for any club, not just CORSA.

That said, my original point in all of this is that I feel CORSA ought to
take the lead, possibly being the first car club of its kind ever, in
requiring seat belts in every car entered in its events. (No other club to
my knowledge requires seat belts in their vintage autos.) Wouldn't that say
to the public that we are safety consious enough that not only do we
recognize the Corvair to be a safe car, but we also are leading the way by
requiring that the single, first, best safety device (a simple lap belt) be
in all our cars regardless of age?

-Mark