<VV> Requirement of seat belts by CORSA for events / ShoulderBelts

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Mon Aug 18 01:22:42 EDT 2008

Hey guys,
I believe 65 was the first year you "had" to get seatbelts, meaning no
"seatbelt delete" option... they were optional all through the early 60s... even
my 1961 Chevrolet Dealer Accessory Installation Manual has them  listed... my
64 700 has some aftermarket belts installed, but it was a  "seatbelt delete"
car according to the trim tag... all my Corvairs have  seatbelts, and I even
have an aftermarket shoulder belt set up that I had in my  64 Greenbrier that I
totaled back in '98... it has a teardrop shape mount that  attaches to the
roof, and the belt attached to an eye bolt on the other side...  the other end has
a metal "collar" that slips onto the male part of the belt  buckle before you
stick it into the buckle piece.... slick design, and the only  one I've ever
seen... so auto retractors, either.... all "pull & cinch"... I  originally got
it from someone here on VV, had to be sometime between 95 &  98...
I rarely ever drive without the seatbelt...
A few years back, when KY enacted their seatbelt law, I was driving a 65
Monza I had... there was a cop in front of me at the stop light and he took it
upon himself to grab his PA mic and say "would the man behind me in the green
car please wear his seatbelt."... I shouted out the window that I was buckled
up, but he sat there through the green light (I think his window was up)...
and  he said "Sir, buckle up"... at which point I took both hands off the
wheel, made  a hand gesture of two fingers going into the other hand while it was
cupped  (mimicking a seat belt, of course) and then pointed at my lap.... to
which he  turned his lights on, got out of his car and walked back to mine...
"What  was THAT all about???" I said "Officer, I HAVE my seatbelt ON (pointing
again to my lap). This car only came with LAP BELTS, and KY LAW says I really
don't have to USE them in a car that is older than 1978, and since this is a
'65  you couldn't write me a ticket if I DIDN'T have it on (and I handed him a
 copy of the law that I keep in the glove box for just such an occasion)...
so  would you please let me go on my way?"
He said "Just doing my job..."... I stuck my hand out and said "Thank  you...
I appreciate that."... and he smiled, said "Nice car by the way"... and
after that I saw him all the time... even bought him lunch once before we moved
down here to White Mills... he was a really nice guy.
My kids will NOT ride in a car without seatbelts, and they're 18 and 15...
in fact Sarah is all excited about her "new" 1982 F150 pick up she bought from
the neighbor... she used her graduation money for that and tires... not bad
for  a first car... and she can help haul firewood!
:-)
I can see no bad points to seatbelt addition to any car/truck (I even had
them in my 1950 Buick Roadmaster 20 years ago)... as long as they're installed
correctly, I think it's a grand idea... to require them in moving activities,
sure... the only possible problem could be there might be a "stock" kind of
guy  who would get upset if his unrestored original car WITH seatbelts wasn't
given  preference over a similar car with added on seatbelts, but I think that
would be  a small problem to deal with IF it ever came up.
Well, it's bedtime for Lonzo....
Good night folks!

Lon  Anderson
White Mills, KY
CORSA, Derby City Corvair, Corvanatics
1961  Greenbrier 110/pg
1963 Greenbrier 95/4spd
1964 700  95/pg

In a message dated 8/18/2008 12:34:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,