<VV> Engine Pull (was: Possible 2010 Convention events)

Vairtec at optonline.net Vairtec at optonline.net
Tue Aug 19 19:48:30 EDT 2008

At 05:36 PM 8/19/2008, Western Canada CORSA wrote:

>Too bad we can't to the engine pull event.  That would at least give us in
>the "young" crowd a chance.  Our strong backs and enthusiasm making up for
>our lack of experience.

In the 70s, when we were young and stupid (we're not young any more),
a friend and I decided to see how quickly we could execute a
car-to-car Corvair engine swap.  In truth, we only needed to take the
good engine from one car and replace the bad engine in another, but
we decided to do a two complete swaps -- remove the engine from each
car and re-install it in the other.

We cheated a little.  We did not begin timing ourselves until both
cars were side-by-side, up on the jack stands.  We had all the
necessary tools laid out and ready to go.  And we had a secret weapon
at our disposal:  An industrial fork lift.

We stuck the forks under an engine, disconnected everything, lowered
the forks and drove out with the engine.  We set that engine aside on
a pallet, and removed the second engine, taking it directly to the
first car and raising it into place.  When done we then raised the
first engine into place into the second car.

Timing stopped when both engines were in their new homes and
everything was re-connected.  Total time, 45 minutes.

Today, more than 30 years older, the two of us would have difficulty
changing two TIRES in 45 minutes...

--Bob