<VV> Pinion Bearing Adjusting Sleeve

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Sun Aug 24 16:19:19 EDT 2008

Dave wrote:
Hi folks.  Need advice on pinion bearing adjusting sleeve. I have attached a
link to photos of two types.
http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view/4122012419-1219532707-16850/
You can see that one has 6 holes drilled in it and the other has none.  As
well the tangs are higher and heavier on the one without the holes.  The one
with the holes has had the bearing spin in it and is cracked, so it can't be
used now.  These are for a M20.
In my other stack of parts I have another one with holes in it, but it
clearly for a PG, as it has the outer o-ring seal and inner seal.  As well I
have another one identical to the higher tang unit.
So can I use the heavy tang unit (it does not look the piece in the Corvair
Assembly pictures, as those ones have a low tang - almost recessed).
Thanks, Dave - 68 Kelmark, 66 Corsa 140-4 Vert (under rebuild).

Craig replies:
The one on the left is for a differential that will be mated to a 61-5
manual transmission. The one on the right is for a 66-9 manual transmission
(commonly known as a "Saginaw"). If you try to use the one on the left, the
input bearing retainer in your transmission will be damaged (cracked) when
the differential and transmission are mated. You will need to locate the
proper bearing retainer for your transmission.  It's CX3710 from Clarks,
$8.00 NOS. It's hard to beat that.
Craig Nicol