<VV> CRANK TIMING help

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Tue Aug 26 09:20:18 EDT 2008

Hi Tim,

First, you can much more easily change the cam timing with offset
keys on the cam.  If you have an old gear (probably a safe bet in
your case :-) you can open the hole up a little so it's a slip fit
and use that to degree your cam the way you want it.  Now, the 140PG
was set up with the 95 cam, so they actually retarded the cam to get
better top end out of the low performance cam.  Given that you're
using an OT-10 and trying for more low end, this might not be what
you want.  Doing the advance or retard on a cam moves the torque
curve up or down (within reason), advancing moves the curve lower,
retarding moves it higher.  This article may help explain cam timing:

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/TimingTutorial/

--Bryan