<VV> Oil again - no Corvair

James Davis jld at wk.net
Wed Aug 27 23:02:51 EDT 2008

The glass display bottles with the tin spouts were for service
station customers that need a quart of oil when they were getting
gas.   When a vehicle pulled up to the pump, the pump attendant would
ask the driver how much and using the handle on the side of the pump
and fill the glass on the pump to the correct level.  None of that
fancy electrical stuff as my boss just knew gasoline would explode if
it came near electricity. The attendant would then dispense the
contents of the pump into the vehicle.  He would clean the windshield
and ask if he was to check fluids under the hood.  If the vehicle dip
stick was at or below the add oil mark, he would show it to the
driver and ask if he was to add a quart.  The display bottles were
beside the pump, usually marked 30, 50, and 70 weight.   After adding
a quart he would replace the empty bottle into its place in the
rack.   The last thing before closing the bottles were refilled with
the correct grade.

If the car was in for an oil change, there was a gallon galvanized
pitcher with a movable spout on the side.  On the pitcher's handle
was a push lever to control the flow of oil out of the spout.  The
pitcher was filled at the same drum as the bottles.  You didn't use
the glass bottles in the bays or out back.   All the oil was
delivered in 30 or 55 gallon drums.  We had special dispensing barrel
pumps for the bottles.  There was a spring loaded arm that caught the
drips from the pump spout and returned the oil to the drum.  It was
just the right height so the glass bottle and spout would fit under
the dispensing drum's spout when you pushed the collection arm out of
the way.  I never saw a metal can until after WWII.   Esso was the
first in our area to switch to metal cans.  First were the gallon
cans and later the quarts.

Collecting of old gas station stuff is big business around
here.  There is a full working Pure Oil station circa 1920 in
Coldwater. (You would think it would be Ashland, wouldn't you.)  The
owner has it setup as a tourist trap but everything works.  He buys
and sells gas station stuff.  He can not sell gas as the does not
meet current safety and KY commerce regulations.
Jim Davis