<VV> Corvair stumbling

Gary Swiatowy mopar at jbcs2.net
Sun Aug 31 07:49:02 EDT 2008

My 65 Monza 110 automatic, has a weird problem.
Starts, runs, drives well when its cold. In fact, when cold it runs perfect!
But after running for 15-20 minutes or so, when I come to a stop, it wants
to stall and stumbles, spark knocks, and has no acceleration.
After it fights its way back up to speed again............its fine.
This problem has plagued me for years but was especially bad yesterday on
the way back from a show.
I've become so disgusted with this over the years, I litterally park it and
drive a different vair..........
The chokes do open, and are not falling closed.
I have swapped on different carbs.
New points and condenser.
tried a different used coil.
New fuel pump

Could the distributor itself be bad?
Could the plug wires be shorting when warm?
(no arcing in the dark) and the wires may be 6-7 years old but no more than
2000 miles on them.

Ideas?

Gary Swiatowy