<VV> RE>>Corvair stumbling

vairjer at comcast.net vairjer at comcast.net
Sun Aug 31 09:35:06 EDT 2008

snip>My 65 Monza 110 automatic, has a weird problem.
Starts, runs, drives well when its cold. In fact, when cold it runs perfect!
But after running for 15-20 minutes or so, when I come to a stop, it wants
to stall and stumbles, spark knocks, and has no acceleration.
After it fights its way back up to speed again............its fine.<<

Sounds like ignition to me...either the advance mechanism is sticking and providing way too much advance for low speed operation or ??  The other thought is perhaps the ballast resistor wire/conection is heating up, thereby increasing resistance and lowering coil primary current...provides sufficient voltage for steady state, but not for the higher requirement of part throttle acceleration (typically the highest requirement for secondary voltage output).....The truth is in the car, but you are on the right track with the distributor and those items attached....

Jerry McKenzie
(former Delco Remy QC test engineer)
PCCA