<VV> Corvair stumbling

John McMahon latin81 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 31 12:07:58 EDT 2008

snip>My 65 Monza 110 automatic, has a weird problem.
Starts, runs, drives well when its cold. In fact, when cold it runs perfect!
But after running for 15-20 minutes or so, when I come to a stop, it wants
to stall and stumbles, spark knocks, and has no acceleration.
After it fights its way back up to speed again............its fine.<<

Are you running an electronic ignition?  I don't know much about the ones
used by corvairs, but I have one on an old motorcycle of mine that does not
operate well on less than 12 volts.  At around 10 volts, it dies.  The
interesting thing is that at some point as the voltage declines, the unit
switches to full advance, giving EXACTLY the symptoms you describe.  Drove
me batty once when my battery was on the way out.  Could be something
similar going on here.

John McMahon
1965 Monza coupe