<VV> Fw: Aviation fuel (gas) in Corvairs - Why I asked!

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Tue Dec 2 15:10:38 EST 2008

Let me explain why I asked this question,  I wanted to get away from storing the car over winter with 15% ethanol gas in the tank.  The tank is about empty and rather than fill it with more 93 Octane 15% ethanol and whatever else this state requires to be put in to reduce emissions during the winter months, I can go  to the local small airfield, punch in the tail# for a friend's small experimental plane and fill up a couple of 5 gal cans of what's supposedly 100 octane.  It sells for about twice what the normal road gas sells for, but then it's not 93 Octane either, which all we can get around here.  I believe he said it was colored purple, as some one stated.  It wouldn't be something I would use year round.  In the summer I would go back to the normal on the road gas, but I've heard some stories about how this ethanol fuel will break down when it sits.  In fact I noticed some idling problems this spring after it sat with a full tank of that 15% Ethanol gas, and it wasn't until I ran about half a tank out and put fresh gas in that the problem went away.  Since I don't drive it much, the idling problem was back again this fall, since I was still running on gas that I bought in early summer.  So I thought I would try something different this year.  Anyone have another suggestion?

I tired Stabil in my mowers and other small engines several years ago and I had a heck of a time trying to get them started, so I've stayed away from that and never had a problem since.

I'm hoping with the price of gas going down, we can cut out the ethanol, and just have real gas.  Maybe then the price of grain will go down and prices of food products made with grain will then also drop, but I imagine ethanol is too big an industry now.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Kent Island, MD
http://mysite.verizon.net/corvair65/Stinky/index.htm