<VV> Fw: Aviation fuel (gas) in Corvairs - Why I asked!

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 2 15:47:51 EST 2008

Russ,  I don't know how long your winter lay-up period is in MD, but may I
suggest that you park it with 1/3 or less tankful.  After 2 to 3 months, add
5 gallons of freshly purchased 93 car gas and run the engine long enough for
some of the fresh gas to get to the carbs.  Drive it a bit if weather and
road salt conditions permit.  After another 2 to 3 months, do that all over
again.

Now the suggestion above applies IF you have all the rubber portions of the
fuel system updated to handle the newer gas blends.  If you have older
rubber (including the accel pump cups), that could be disintegrating and may
be part of your idle problem.

I would have suggested a gas stabilizer, but you seem to be against that.

15% ethanol????  It is only 10% in IL - and most everywhere else I've been
in the Midwest.  Of course, the word "MAY" on the pump should likely be
interpreted as DOES.

As far as ending ethanol use.... IMHO..... THAT will not happen - EVER in
our lifetimes.

Later, JR