<VV> Fw: Re: Summer/Winter Plate

EVERETT WILSON aircooled6 at prodigy.net
Tue Dec 2 17:30:14 EST 2008

The properly installed plate prevents hot air from recirculating into the topside of the engine where only cool air should be during hot weather, say when ambient temps stay above about 50 degrees for the season.

In the Cold times, it takes the place of the heat stove on other types of engines and allows some hot air to blow up where the intake snorkel(s) can get it and as mentioned in a previous note, prevent carb icing and the drivability issues associated with it.

During the "Shoulder" seasons, the amount ot warmer air involved doesnt hurt much and the flow is greatly reduced when the t-stat doors open, but in summer, particularly in hot places (like Ft Worth!!), pinging and overheating can occur if the cover is left open or if there are no rubber seals around the edges of the sheetmetal to keep hot engine air out.  Even on my earlies, when I had those, I put silver aluminum tape over the holes to keep that heat out in summer.

On my 67 500, that I drive daily all year, there is no insulator pad on the hood, so the hot air flow melts the frost or dries the moisture off that one spot on the hood above where the plate goes.  A basketball sized circle that is hot to the touch if Ive been driving more than a short distance.

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX