<VV> "Winter" duration

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 02:19:42 EST 2008

> California. No winterizing. Just remember to roll up  the windows -
> it could possibly rain, eventually, maybe.

In 1989 I bought a 55 Buick Hardtop at Hot August Nights in Reno. There were
also millions of Corvairs there, funnily enough (somewhere I still have the
photos). But the Vairs were all $2-3000+, and the Buick was $1600, so it was
a better deal. The only thing that didn't work on the car was the windshield
wipers. I drove it to Tahoe and we camped there. It rained. For a week.
Non-stop. In August.

It was awful. In the end I decided to drive on anyway, rain or no rain (I
wiped the glass as I drove along, with a rag on a stick), because I was due
to ship the car out of Livermore, and we had a perfectly good rental car
that we could use as well. I drove to Livermore in the rain, ditched the
Buick, and then we stayed several days in San Francisco, where it was foggy.

Then we left California and went back to Utah, which is where we had flown
into to begin with. In Utah it was 90 degrees and sunny.

That was the last time I went to California, and I as far as I am concerned
am not missing anything (it was too tacky for me anyway). My experience of
Californian weather was just like England in summer. And in Vegas, just
before we got to Reno, it had snowed. In August.

Cheers

Alan