<VV> High Milage Corvairs

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Thu Dec 4 22:37:36 EST 2008

Smitty Says;  I know there were a slew  of Corvairs that were retired before they were used up because of things like flywheel rivets, bad lifters and oil leaks from overheating.  Nobody really gave a darn about resolving them because after all they were a POS car.  But to be fair, nobody (unless they were the original owner) really knew how many miles they had on them when they wore out.  Turning speedometers back even at big agencys was a normal part of doing business for used car dealers.  If a car was really well kept but had 70,000 miles on it, it would be unusual to get off the lot showing more than 10,000.  As for the manuals (and especially the 4 speeds) not making 100K, that was understandable.  Sporty little car with 4 on the floor.  Everybody I knew beat the hell out of the 2nd gear syncro just because it was there.  And of course as almost the only 4 spd with a syncro 1st, everybody exercised the heck out of that downshifting from
 ridiculous speeds. (probably adding to the fanbelt problems while they were at it).
In my experience a Corvair engine should have run well over 150Kif not abused and any reasonably rebuilt engine should run well into the second hundred thousand.