<VV> Aviation fuel (gas) in Corvairs

Richard Widman richard at widman.biz
Sun Dec 7 06:42:01 EST 2008

I use av gas every day in my 88 BMW 325ic. It is supposed to run on 92
octane. The highest octane sold for cars is 90, and the closest station
that has any is 450 miles away. So I am relegated to 80 octane.
Our av gas is 100 to 105 octane, leaded (according to gov't regulations
and BP). My best mix is 30%. Anything under 20% and it stalls. For some
reason mileage is less with 50%, although performance is still there.
I buy the av gas either at the race track with my membership card or
slip a few bucks to the commander at the air force base. Both end up
being the same, which is about $2.70 a gallon. I fill a 55 gallon drum
with the av gas. Then when my low fuel light comes on, I put in 12
liters of av gas, drive across the street and add 30 liters of 80 octane
at $2.05 per gallon.

The only detriment is I can't get real numbers from an oil analysis. It
always shows high lead, which normally would mean bearing wear.

My vair is low compression, so I don't anticipate any problems (special
low quality gas heads, I'm told by the numbers)