<VV> starter stuck

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Tue Dec 9 08:26:20 EST 2008

snipped and bottom posted

?What would make a starter engage on the first non start attempt, then have the
starter drive stay engaged to the flywheel when the? second attempt is made. I
know it is stuck as we can disengage it by turning the engine by hand. The?next
attempt results in the starter not engaging or turning the engine over at all.

Auto or standard?

If the flywheel rivets were replaced with bolts without careful centering, the clutch with ring gear could have extra runout.  I don't know how much runout it would take to jam the starter.
I know after my first attempt at flywheel reinforcement ( a buddy welded everything to everything else) my car started breaking starter snouts regularly

Dan Timberlake
Westford, Massachusetts, USA