<VV> Car puffing smoke up through the PCV tube

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 16 17:44:01 EST 2008

If you are getting gas into the crankcase you should be able to smell it on
the dipstick and/or at the filler neck.  Also, it may seem as if the volume
of oil is increasing when you read the dipstick.  If you see/smell these
symptoms, change the pump and the oil (and filter of course) immediately.

The white stuff in the oil filler neck and top generally comes in a cold
climate (but I see you are in FL) or from short trips where the engine does
not reach full temp.  It is essentially water (and other) vapor that did not
burn off (fully evaporate) and instead condensed because the engine did not
get hot enough.  Do you have the shrouds in place with working thermostats?

The miss could be from a number of causes - such as poor plug wires, bad
coil, worn out breaker plate or points, vacuum advance not working, and a
few others.

The bouge up the crankcase vent generally indicates a tired engine (at least
rings), but the results of your compression test sound reasonable.  So -
possibly something else is the cause?

Later, JR
CCE CORSA CORVANANTICS SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110