<VV> PCV tube puffing

Jay Ciampi jciampi at embarqmail.com
Thu Dec 18 16:00:54 EST 2008

Well, I finally managed to get rid of my white smoke puffing, at least 98%
of it.  I had trouble getting the old buggy to start so I dismantled the
fuel pump and cleaned the crud out of it, there wasn't as much as I thought
there might be. Anyway, I put the pump back together and tried to start the
car and VOILA!  it started right away.  I was amazed to say the least,
because there wasn't that much crud in the pump(it probably pushed most of
it through the carbs already) I did check  the carb filters and they were
clean.  I don't know happened, but I am glad it did. I  set the timing back
to about 14 degrees where it is supposed to be, I am told.  It was at least
20 degrees or more before I moved it. I had the vacuum advance unit
disconnected and the hose plugged off with a pencil.  When I connected the
hose back to the vacuum advance unit, I didn't see much change in the
timing. The idle speed must be about where it should be. It idles so nicely
now.  The outside temp is about 76 Degrees here this afternoon in South
Central FL.  I let the car idle quite a while to let it warm up and burn off
any more condensation. I did check inside the oil fill cap to see if I had
any more residue, but there was none.  I was a happy guy until I went to
back out of the carport and the rear brakes were dragging again. This
happened once before to me and I loosened the hand brake cable and that
seemed to fix it.  WRONG!
I was one of those lucky guys that got some CHINESE relined shoes and had to
file down the shoes to even get the drum back on the axle. There was a blurb
in one of the recent CORSA books about this problem. It thought I was having
hallucinations. I guess not. I dread the thought of having to take those
rear drums part again to see what is happening to them. The car drives great
otherwise.

Jay Ciampi
CORSA
Lake Placid, FL.