<VV> PCV tube puffing

David Houston judgehouston at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 12:31:30 EST 2008

In Maine this is a common problem due to condensation in oil due to short trips. I wouldn't drive to burn it off. You should change the oil and filter immediately. I've seen 'ice'clog oil filters and when removing the filter slushy ice will come out from the drain holes. My elderly aunt was almost talked into a 'head gasket' job on her rarely driven V6. The dip stick looked like a coffee milk shake. I changed her oil and filter twice because of the water that had accumulated. After a twenty mile trip, it was fine
My FC had a similar problem. Again, infrequent use cause water to contaminate the oil. I have  a 110 motor of unknown mileage. I rerouted the pcv hose and extended it so it acts like a road draft tube. On zero degree days I have white steam streaming out the hose. I also have water dripping like an old still. I closed off all the related openings with rubber caps. Including the oil filler tube. The result is no water in the oil. I do mostly small trips in the FC