<VV> Rabbit Diesel in a Vair-Humor

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Sat Dec 20 14:32:23 EST 2008

Actually I had one of the last German built diesel Rabbits which had a
little "tinkering" done to it... it was nearly as quick as a gas Rabbit
(though it did put out a nice cloud of black smoke under full throttle),
got 55mpg at 55mph, had awesome handling, and would cruise 85-90 all day
long. One of the best cars I ever owned.

My parents liked it so much they bought one of the first American made
Rabbit Diesels... it was everything you describe... excruciatingly slow,
poor handling, and barely got 30mpg. One of the worst cars I've ever
driven. We ended up converting it to gas... and it was still nasty.

The new TDI's are very "undiesel-like"... I wouldn't mind one at all...
would make an interesting Corvair transplant...

Still prefer a Corvair though!

Bill