<VV> Heater shroud question and followup

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Dec 24 13:06:48 EST 2008

For a difference in shrouds, don't forget that a shroud is held on with
either 7 or eight bolts. Yes, the forgotten ones on the front side that
bolt to the vertical front shroud above the exhaust manifold on each
side. Some have two bolts in this area, some have one. So to do it
correctly, one must use a lower shroud with the correct number of holes
to match the front shroud.

Of course, most all the engines I have worked on ARE held by 6 bolts!
And I have used non-matching lower shrouds, they fit fine, just the
front bolts aren't used.

I also don't fool with the "Jesus" clip on the door hinge pin, I just
bend the tab holding the pin in place. This will fatigue and break off
if done many times, so others remove the clip instead. But it saves time
to pull the pin instead of the clip, especially on reinstallation.

Frank DuVal