<VV> Converting a Corvair to electric viable?

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Tue Dec 30 12:57:55 EST 2008

Meant to say - there was another drawback that they mentioned on Top Gear as
well, and that's also a pretty big one. We have all developed a taste for
lots of power-consuming services as we drive along (e.g. air con, music,
power steering, elec. windows). Electric cars don't produce any power -
apart from the marginal amount that can be cancelled out by regenerative
braking, they only consume it. So running stuff like that drastically
shortens their range (Top Gear found the range indicator dropping like a
stone when they put the air con on).

As IC-powered vehicles produce power from an on-board power source rather
than just burning it, this problem doesn't affect them.

Cheers

Alan