<VV> Converting a Corvair to electric viable?

Ron Choy ronchoy at comcast.net
Tue Dec 30 20:23:54 EST 2008

About 20 years ago (is it really that long?) I asked to convert my
1968 500 PG 110 to electric power. Things got immediately
complicated. First the powertrain was too light to gain much weight
saving lrelative to the batteries. The car's shape was too curvy for
6 volt batters, so higher cost 23 volt batteries were needed, filling
both the trunk and the engine bay sides.  Then, they said I needed
stronger springs. And upgraded brakes.  The price climbed above
$7,000 and I gave up and stayed with gasoline.  Can't say I didn't
try....
-ron 65,66