<VV> Engine-Transaxle removal cradle

Jim Corey jcorey at escapees.com
Sun Feb 3 22:52:18 EST 2008

From: "Mark W. Monaghan" <ce1monag at cfl.rr.com>
Subject: <VV> Engine-Transaxle removal cradle

Does anyone have a sketch or specification or drawing on how to make a
Engine-Transaxle cradle.
(Or even better) One that is laying around that they want to sell?

Richard Finch's Book, Keeping Your Corvair Alive has a cart.  I made one with wheels that went on an ATV jack I got from Harbor Freight. Used the dimensions in the book, but the supporting "cart", like a mover's dolly, was wider, to clear the Jack. I could lower the drive train, and wheel it off the jack.  Before, I used a metal "cradle"  that went on my floor jack, but balance was a problem.  A change I made in Finch's deign was to carve a bit out of the front support to clear the bellhousing.

I  also made a separate cradle for the tranny-diff.  Bolted it on to a small floor jack.  Used a plywood base, and 2 uprights to pick up the transmission cross mount.  This allowed me to marry the tranny-diff to the engine alone.  Damn the tranny-diff is heavy.

I did modify the ATV platform with angle iron extensions (about 18") to allow better balance.  I used the jig 4 times in the past 6 weeks on my Greenbrier.

But that's another story.

J Corey
'63 Corvair Convertible
'62 Greenie