<VV> Corvair Reliablility Queston

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 4 18:14:04 EST 2008

Overall reliability of the American (and Japanese) automobile has
improved greatly since the sixties, when you went in for lube jobs every
two to three thousnad miles and tune-ups every ten or twelve -- twenty
thou on a set of tires was pretty good, so keep it in mind --

We took our 1961 95 van -- chasis had well over 100,000 miles of
metropolitan delivery use and had been stripped for dune buggy parts,
engine was brand new rebuilt (at home), new axle bearings, wrecking yard
transaxle, with a 600 mile shakedown trip to southern Oregon from
Portland -- next day we left for Dallas, TX (2100 miles - two days to
get there) and stayed there all summer, driving back before school
started -- two carb 140 gave no problems, nor did anything else.  Of
course, we weren't expecting to have any problems, either -- sometimes
you find what you are looking for ...

Drive with trepidation, and you find trepids as your passeengers.  My
"new" car is twenty years old, and I don't worry -- generally I'm pretty
happy with it -- otherwise, I have a 58, 59, 60, & working on a 63, and
just got a 61 VW floorpan to turn back into a car.  If you worry about
cupholders, drive a new car.

Bill  Strickland