<VV> Corvair Reliability

Keith Onchuck keitho64 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 18:38:06 EST 2008

This is turning out to be quite a thread so I'll chime
in.  I have had my Corvair for 13 years and had 1
mechanical failure, my modern Pertronix ignition quit.
 Within 15 minutes it was diagnosed and another 15
back on the road.  You cannot repair a modern car that
quick.

As many have pointed out we are talking about a car
that is 38-48 years old.  Maintenance history and how
is has been driven are probably the most important
part.

My youngest son wants us to take a trip this summer in
the Corvair as well as next year.  I am going through
the car now just to check as much as I can.  I am not
worried about the design, but wear and tear of the
mechanical parts.  With all this said I feel the car
will be fine and quite fun on the long journey.

I have only logged 10,000 miles on my Corvair so I do
not consider myself an expert.  However I am into old
cars and have a couple from the 1960's and I drive
them a lot.  Combined mileage when the roads are free
of salt will be close to 8,000 miles per summer.

So what does all this mean, I trust the old cars as
much as my new car with one major advantage, I can
easily troubleshoot and fix the old cars.
Working on the car is actually part of the fun.

Keith