<VV> pre-spyder crank drawings

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Tue Feb 5 12:58:17 EST 2008

snipped and bottom posted

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 11:03:30 -0500
From: "Clark Hartzel" <chartzel at comcast.net>
Subject: <VV> Crankshaft material
To: "Virtual Vairs" <virtualvairs at corvair.org>

I have engineering drawings and ALL Corvair crankshafts are 5140
forgings.  The nitriding was probably added to prevent wear on the
higher HP engines.
Clark Hartzel, CPF Curator

Hi Carl,

Do you have drawings specifically for an early non-spyder crank?
I'm pretty sure some OEM cranks were some lesser material (10XX ?) as more than one vintage SAE publication mentions the material upgrade (plus TuffTride) for the Spyder.
It wouldn't surprise me if the 5140 became the standard at some point, and post 1962/3/4/5 drawings were revised to show that.  Sometimes drawings have a revision history table, and that >might< indicate the material change and when it happened.

That might help steer the best factory choice for an engine that will be subjected to strenuous use.

best regards,

Dan Timberlake