<VV> Reminder: Win a 64 Monza Convertible!

George Jones 65crownv8 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 07:35:19 EST 2008

For those of you who have already donated, THANK YOU! For those of you who
haven't, it's not too late to send in your donations to the Corvair
Preservation Foundation/Tidewater Corvair Club fund raiser! Here are the
details:

The Tidewater Corvair Club (TCC) is giving away a Silver 1964 Monza
Convertible at the 2008 Virginia Vair Fair (on May 4, 2008) to the lucky
person who donates, through the TCC/CPF fund raising campaign, a minimum of
$5.00. The bigger the donation (in $5.00 increments), the better your chance
to win. The winner will be responsible for all Taxes, Title Transfer,
shipping or other associated fees. You DO NOT HAVE TO BE PRESENT TO WIN.
*
About the car:*
This is a 1964 Monza Convertible which has been resurrected by the Tidewater
Corvair Club as the basis for Club Tech Sessions over the past year.
Photographs of the work performed can be seen at the following web address:

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/65CrownV8/TCC%20Project%20Car/

*Donations include:*
Silver Metallic paint, donated by *Maaco of Chesapeake, Virginia*, a long
time supporter of TCC
Red Upholstery donated by *Clark's Corvair Parts, Inc.*
Convertible Top, "A" pillar, Quarter Window and Door weatherstrip donated by
*Steele Rubber Parts, Inc.*
New Red Carpet donated by *Dean & Martha Mitchell and Molly Maids of
Williamsburg*
Tons of labor and parts have been donated by the *Tidewater Corvair Club
Members*.

*A brief listing of work performed includes:
*Replacement of non-original 63 differential with a good 64 differential
Replacement of the original 110HP motor with a good running 110HP motor
New Clutch
New leaf spring bushings
POR-15 on both the interior and underside flooring
Re-upholstery of the bucket seats and rear seat
New front and rear door panels and armrests
New Black Convertible Top with a new Red Top Boot
New front grille bar
Bottoms of doors had rust cut out and new metal welded in
Rear quarters had rust cut out and new metal welded in
Battery tray bottom replaced
Engine perimeter seals replaced (with staples, not riveted)
Engine bay cleaned and painted prior to engine installation
Interior metal surfaces sanded and repainted
Steering wheel refurbished by Smitty Smith
Lots and lots of sanding

*Why aren't we calling this a restoration? *
Well, two reasons:
* First,* we tried to keep everything as original as possible, but if a
specific item needed replaced, we had one 64 parts car that was pretty well
gone already, and a 63 parts car. So if we needed a part, and it wasn't
available from the 64 parts car, we moved to the 63 parts car. In the case
of the rocker trim, we chose to leave it off all together, because we
couldn't find a complete set of usable 64 trim, and the new owner could make
the judgment call as to what year they wanted to install (if any).
* Second,* our initial goal was to turn this car into a good 'daily driver',
so some things were left off of the 'must do' list, such as detailing the
suspension, etc. In my opinion, we exceeded in our goal to turn it into a
good 'daily driver', and I believe we are at the level where I believe the
car would score in the mid 80's at a convention Concourse. With a little
work, it could become a "show car".

*Where does the money go?
*75% of all profits raised will go to the Corvair Preservation Foundation
25% will go to the Tidewater Corvair Club General Fund
*
Where to send the money?*
You can send a check, made payable to Tidewater Corvair Club, in increments
of $5.00 to:
Tidewater Corvair Club
c/o George Jones
528 White Oak Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23462

Once I receive your check, I will complete the number of entries
corresponding to the amount of your check, and scan them into PDF format and
email this to you. If you prefer to have the actual tickets in your hand,
please add the postage to your check amount, and I will mail the stubs to
you. If you buy a book or more (10 tickets, $50) I will pay for the postage
to send the original stubs back to you.

*Information needed*:
Your name, address and telephone number are needed for the drawing. If you
want to have the tickets emailed to you, please include your email address
as well.

Good Luck to all who choose to help the CPF by participating in this fund
raiser!

--
Ask me how you can win this 64 Monza Convertible

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/65CrownV8/TCC%20Project%20Car/

George Jones
Tidewater Corvair Club (since 1987)
Central Virginia Corvair Club (since 2006)
Corvair Society of America (CORSA)(since 1987)
'65 Monza Crown V8 Convertible
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2397326
'66 Monza Coupe Custom (in progress)