<VV> Broken Throw-Out Bearing Flange

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 11 14:17:11 EST 2008

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear that the clutch is still giving you problems.  The throwout
bearing....is it the type that has a pin driven across the groove to keep
the throwout bearing from rotation on the fork?  Is it possible that the
throwout bearing seized, spun and when the pin hit the fork it knocked the
backside of the flange out?  Even if it wasn't seized you're right to
replace it.  Another possibility is that the fork somehow got outside the
flanged area and the force of releasing the clutch broke it.  At this point,
since you are in there I'm assuming you'll replace the pilot bushing again.
Can't hurt.  If you do, before you tap the bushing in, make sure the bore is
nice and smooth without any burrs, smooth with a fine file if you find any.
Some preload the pilot bushing with oil using the index and thumb method.
I've always just install it and reach in with my pinky and put a small dab
of lithium grease (about the size of a pea) along the inner edge of the
bushing.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81412237@N00/sets/
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!