<VV> Broken Throw-Out Bearing Flange

Steve Brennan Alohaz at ca.rr.com
Mon Feb 11 14:43:16 EST 2008

Hi Dan,
No, this T-O bearing has no pin.  I've not seen that type, although when I
was inspecting mine it had me wondering if anything other than the spring
clips would stop the bearing from spinning on the fork arms. From your
question, I guess some are designed specifically to prevent such spinning,
but not mine (which I got as part of the total clutch kit).
As far as my original installation, if it is possible to slide the bearing
onto the fork with the spring clip behind the flange, I suppose I could have
done that, but I'm pretty sure the arms themselves were in the proper slot,
since they was still there when I separated the engine and trans (although
maybe the arm could slide into the slot due to the missing flange -- I will
have to experiment and see about that).
As to the pilot bushing, even though I bought another, I was not going to
mess with it, since it shows no signs of any damage, and the input shaft
slides in very nicely: just enough snugness, but quite easy to insert and
remove.  Please let me know if you think this is a mistake.
As for my difficulty initially putting the car in gear after starting, or
putting it in reverse without shutting the car off, since I didn't find any
problems other than the broken T-O bearing, I was going to investigate is
the thickness of the clutch disk itself.  I know I read in a couple of the
manuals what the appropriate thickness range is, and maybe, since this is a
kevlar disk, something got mixed up and it is still binding up even when
fully released.  I was kind of hoping to find a clear answer to the shifting
problems (even if it revealed an embarrassing mistake in my original work),
so I could feel confident of having fixed the problem, but unless the clutch
disk reveals an issue, I guess I will just put it back together and go back
to trying to "wear it in."
As always, all thoughts and suggestions are sincerely appreciated.
Steve Brennan
1962 Spyder Coupe