<VV> Broken Throw-Out Bearing Flange

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 12 13:44:11 EST 2008

>if it is possible to slide the bearing onto the fork with the spring clip behind the flange, I suppose I could have done that,

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong here (certainly on this list) and
I could be getting my VW and VV mixed up, but the springs go into the
groove, too. Sorta like an anti-rattle spring -- if the bearing is good,
it won't spin (significantly) on the snout -- if the snout has been
grooved by some previously failed bearing, it might need replacement.
Don't forget to fill the groove in the inside of the t o bearing sleeve
with a bit of grease. (the t o bearing is really two parts, the bearing
and the sleeve)

>As to the pilot bushing, even though I bought another, I was not going to
>mess with it, since it shows no signs of any damage, and the input shaft
>slides in very nicely: just enough snugness, but quite easy to insert and
>remove.

It's a new part, right?  If it ain't broke or wore out, don't fix it!
Sounds good to me -- just put a tiny dab of grease in there.

Godspeed!

Bill Strickland