<VV> Manual tranny stats?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Feb 12 16:22:05 EST 2008

In a message dated 2/12/2008 10:42:33 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jwilson at unctv.org writes:

I'm  thinking of jerking the 3-speed out of my 65
and replacing it with a  4-spd....

What are the gear-ratio's per 'speed' of the
3-speed's vs  4?

Will a post-65 4-speed work in a 65? I've heard
there's some sort  of bolt-pattern discepencies.

CJ Wilson
_jwilson at unctv.org_ (mailto:jwilson at unctv.org)

Two different scenarios CJ. First the input shafts are different lengths on
65 3-speed, 65 4-speed, 66-up 3 and 4-speed. (the 66-up 3 and 4 use the same,
but are different than a 65 4-speed, which is different than the 65 3-speed.)
If  you go to a 66-up 4-speed, generally called the "Saginaw" (Okay, Mark,
incorrectly! But that is what people call it), you should go to a 66
differential as well. It is easy to put the 66 transaxle into a 65, I have done  it to
at least 6 cars. The 66 is stronger, but slower shifting, because you have
more mass to move - all the gears are bigger. The 64 and 65 4-speed
transmissions are interchangeable, but not the differentials. You could find a  1964 or
65 4-speed transmission with the proper input shaft, and bolt it up to  your
existing diff. To swap in the 66-up 3/4 speed transaxle, there  are a few other
items like linkage and controls which are also different. - Seth  Emerson

Awards. Go to AOL Music.