<VV> Enforced CORSA membership

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Thu Feb 14 13:59:12 EST 2008

By the way, the SCG (Stock Corvair Group) bylaws require CORSA membership.
Why did we do this?  The answer is very simple: The SCG would not be able to
function without CORSA.  We need the interaction between the two clubs to
make the SCG work.  CORSA provides the conventions where the SCG can hold
its annual meetings and the Annual Stock Corvair Event (ASCE), CORSA
provides the server space where we will host our new website and database,
CORSA provides the access to the membership who we will query for
information, etc.  In short, CORSA provides the infrastructure to make the
SCG work.  This is undoubtedly true for all the CORSA SIG (Special Interest
Group) chapters.  I would argue that it is also true for most, if not all,
of the Local Chapters, although, as I stated earlier, nothing is stopping a
Local Chapter from trying to work it alone.

While I am on the subject of the SCG, I would like to answer a question that
has been asked recently, and that is, "Why should I pay extra dues to the
SCG when I am already paying dues to CORSA".  The answer to that question is
simple: not everybody who is a member of CORSA is interested in the SCG or
even in Stock Corvairs, so those people should not have to subsidize the
SCG's work by way of their CORSA dues.  CORSA or its members should not have
the obligation to provide for the management or financial costs of local
clubs or of SIGs.

However, the SCG, while maintaining its own finances, has been set up to
allow for revenue sharing with CORSA should we ever reach a point of
producing publishable material.  The point here is to keep supporting each
other, to the extent that we need each other to be successful in our
endeavors.  Similar revenue sharing arrangements are often made when a local
club (or clubs) hosts a CORSA sanctioned event (regional or National
convention).

So, I wonder, how does it work when a CORSA chapter which does NOT require
100% CORSA membership hosts a national or regionally sanctioned CORSA event?
Do the non-CORSA chapter members have to stay home, not help or participate
in the event?  Hmmmmm.

Bill Hubbell
President, SCG