<VV> Early transmission questions

Kerry and jan B deaconone at teleweb.net
Fri Feb 15 07:58:06 EST 2008

Hi,

Everyone itching for Spring? I know I am...Even went so far as to go to
storage and sit in the vert for a bit, visions of warm wind blowing
through my hair......Alas when I went back out side it was still winter!

In any case I have a couple of questions.

On an early, 4 speed, can you remove the transmission by itself or is
this another instance where you have to remove the entire power train?

And on a related note. How hard is it to rebuild the tranny? Probably
needs syncros  plus++  Doesn't drop out of gear except for once in a
while in third, but does grind or is hard to get into 2nd and 3rd (seems
worse when first starting out, improves when car is hot. (running
Amsoil) . What's recommended to replace while its out of car. Is there a
book or pamphlet availably that has directions/suggestions? I saw one on
Ebay but got outbid.... Is it available anywhere else?

Thanks,

Kerry B.
63 Spyder