<VV> Early transmission questions

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Feb 15 08:27:15 EST 2008

I'm sorry, you have posted to the Corsa/Local Club  pro/con discussion
board. No time for technical questions.... ggggggg

Ahhh, the power of the delete key....

I have removed a tranny without dropping the engine from the car (65 4
speed). But it was so much trouble to loosen/disconnect enough stuff to
get the engine to drop enough to slip the tranny off, that I will not do
it again. Breaking a small chunk out of the output shaft did not please
me either! ggggg

Dropping the drivetrain is the way to go, as it lets you examine more
stuff that may need attention after 40+ years. Dropping an early is
easy. It is those late people that have to deal with strut rods and
multiple u-joints.

Shop manual has info on innards of tranny. 61 manual should give you
most of the info, 63 supplement would help with turbo specific details
for you, but I think the transmission (see I DO know the word) info is
the same as 61.

FWIW, popping out of gear is usually worn teeth on meshing gears. Look
for teeth worn triangular shaped instead of square shaped teeth. But
this is usually a high gear problem. 3rd could be something else worn.
Countershaft bearings?

Frank DuVal