<VV> Flywheel questions

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 16 18:13:25 EST 2008

Well, one general principle is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
If you were looking for the maximum likelyhood of not having a problem with
your car, you probably wouldn't be driving a 40 year old car.

The rivets don't fail from age, they fail from use.  Ask yourself:
How much mileage is on the car?
How much do you put on it a year?
I ran my original flywheel over 200K miles before I replaced it because
everybody told me to.  Wonder if it would still be fine at the current 296K?

You know, those riveted dudes do fail, but they don't generally do anything
catastrophic before the warn you with plenty of rattling noises.  On the
other hand, how many times have you done some simple job and had some
surprise turn it into a nightmare?  New flywheels are not zero risk
(although I got mine from Dale's and David does really great work).  How
happy would you be if you took your perfectly good one out and put one in
that was out of balance?  Or had the ring welded on wrong so it ate
starters?  What if you tore up a flywheel bolt?  What if your wrench slipped
of that PITA thin bolt head on the flywheel bolt and you lost your balance
and fell backwards against the wall and your extension ladder was jarred off
the brackets it's hanging on and fell through your windshield, sending a
shower of tiny glass cubes in the open window of your wife's car and the
next time she sat in the car she cut her butt and made you sell the Corvair?

As for doing it later  --  It takes me about 6 hours to remove the whole
drivetrain, split apart and replace the flywheel, and replace the
drivetrain - way easier than trying to split it in the car.  (others may
disagree)

Roger