<VV> Flywheel questions-pressure plate

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Feb 16 18:46:01 EST 2008

Notes below:

Roger Gault wrote:

>You know, those riveted dudes do fail, but they don't generally do anything
>catastrophic before the warn you with plenty of rattling noises.

Agree. Sounds like a rod bearing except that it goes away when stepping
on the clutch.

>On the
>other hand, how many times have you done some simple job and had some
>surprise turn it into a nightmare?  New flywheels are not zero risk
>(although I got mine from Dale's and David does really great work).  How
>happy would you be if you took your perfectly good one out and put one in
>that was out of balance?  Or had the ring welded on wrong so it ate
>starters?

Um, have to disagree on a fine point. The ring gear is welded to the
pressure plate.

Now, I HAVE had the ring gear be damaged on a NEW pressure plate! And it
does eat starters. Put this in the always check before installing
column. The gear gets damaged if the pressure plate box is dropped on
its edge. Heavy object stops on thin gear between welded supports.

>What if you tore up a flywheel bolt?  What if your wrench slipped
>of that PITA thin bolt head on the flywheel bolt and you lost your balance
>and fell backwards against the wall and your extension ladder was jarred off
>the brackets it's hanging on and fell through your windshield, sending a
>shower of tiny glass cubes in the open window of your wife's car and the
>next time she sat in the car she cut her butt and made you sell the Corvair?

What??? You have MY luck???

Frank DuVal