<VV> Flywheel questions

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Feb 16 17:50:48 EST 2008

I don't give up on stock flywheels, I bolt everyone I install! It takes
a little time, but is easy and requires few tools. This is assuming it
is not rattling to start with. Ah, the caveat: it should be rebalanced!
Guessing at this can cause wear of engine bearings. Checking the runout
can be done with a dial indicator and a crank mounted in a block half,
or the engine you removed the flywheel from. Call around and see who
balances stuff in your area for the racing crowd.

Has anyone ever used a tire balancer to balance a flywheel?

Of course vendors have bolted, balanced, and surfaced preped stock
flywheels ready to sell. But what's the fun in that? ggggg

Like JVHR, I haven't seen a stock riveted flywheel in years I would put
back in a vehicle.

Frank DuVal