<VV> Stripping cars

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 16 20:25:00 EST 2008

Oddly, I think, no one has mentioned using heat as a prelude to the
scraper -- some, not all, paint can be adequately softened with a hot
air gun to scrape/peel easily, and of course, to maximize your toxic
fume production, you could use the controlled direct flame approach
(Vairs aren't Fieros or Vettes) - avoid combining with the last option
below.

And, if you have a particularly flaky paint job to start with, sometimes
you can blow it off with high pressure air or a commercial power washer
/ steam cleaner.  The next step is to temporarily turn your paint booth
area into a media blast cabinet and invest in your own baking soda /
walnut shell device.

Those Scotch-Brite wheels & pads strip paint pretty well too -- both the
ones designed for rotary air tool use and the ones that look like an
electric drill wire wheel tool -- paint shops will (probably) have a
separate mandrel / pack of discs product, whereas the hardware stores
have a mandrel with every disc.

I always liked a lacquer thinner / acetone mix ...  not the best paint
stripper, but I liked it anyway, duh ... (note the use of past tense verbs)

Bill Strickland