<VV> Corvair Canadian rally prep - 1961/62 ?

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 18:12:44 EST 2008

>From the CAR LIFE complete Corvair guide ca 1963.  "the gentle art of DRIVING THE CORVAIR" by Denise McCluggage. page 90 - 96.

Part way thru the article she describes rear engine cars as generally oversteering, then, that lifting off the throttle when pushing Corvairs or stock Monzae on twisty roads will induce severe oversteer.  Then, that she went off the road tail first in a Corvair in the first Shell 4000 rally in Quebec.  Something about lifting  off the throttle having been surprised by a tight off camber corner in the fog.

But somewhat surpisingly next she said this -
" I drove my first Monza the first year of the Trans-Canada Rally (as it was called then) and a more secure car I cannot imagine.  I am sure it outhandled any other car on the rally. I had a delightful time on the winding highways and the mountain trails. I had a private little game I called "Sucker." It involved motoring at a refined speed along the straights until someone decided to follow along. Then when I reached a turn, I would actually speed up ever so slightly and then watch the fun in the rearview mirror. The other car was usually in a little over its head, not seriously, just enough to kick up dust at the side of road or yaw heavily or at least fall back.....Really the car was that superior. (the Studebaker team was issued orders  not to follow me under any circumstances after I came close to sending those waddling Larks off the road. They weren't even in the same ballpark as the Monza.)  And why was the Monza so great in 1961? I think it must have been the 3 degree negat
ive camber in the rear. From the rear the wheels looked all splayed out like a knock-kneed horse. Quite a sight........What security. Now, 3 degrees is a lot of negative camber. (The road gets awfully close to the underpinnings that way), but I would certainly recommend 2 degrees for everyday driving. In fact I would insisit on it if I were going to do any hard-pushing motoriing at all in the Monza. The options to achieve the 2 dgree negative are offered by Chevrolet......"

Next she mentions that the steering is too slow, but that only Fitch found a way to quicken it.
--
Dan Timberlake