<VV> Recruiting Newcomers to Corvairs and then CORSA

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Mon Feb 18 18:35:31 EST 2008

Bill Strickland has presented some very interesting points on
transforming Corvair ownership into Corvair enthusiasm and then maybe
CORSA membership. I offer these thoughts as a returnee to the Corvair
fold [had a '64 110/4 in the early 70's], a working stiff [6 different
jobs at any one time during the week] and a 5-month member of CORSA.

I have never been able to own a car as a hobby - they're always working
vehicles for me. None are in show condition, but all will get me to an
event, if and when I have the time. I'm certainly not young anymore but
my  auto enthusiast habits have not changed since I was buying my first
cars in my late teens.

I just returned from a Land Rover offroad weekend, at which my '66 Land
Rover was joined by about 65 other vehicles and their owners for an off
road event. Some Land Rovers were only 10 years old, some were classic
like mine, but all drove there and went off roading in the deep, deep
snow. The age range was from college to AARP eligible.My experiences
made me think about building Corvair enthusiasm and CORSA.

Like a lot of younger enthusiasts, my cars tend to run better than they
look. I adore seeing Corvairs, Land Rovers, Triumphs and MG's [my other
automotive loves] with brilliant paint jobs and no dings, but I'm not
going to own one of those cars. I will never have that kind of money.
However, my entry into auto enthusiasm is my ham-fisted desire to repair
and maintain the cars myself, as much as possible. And I will always be
able to drive it, and enjoy being seen in it and getting others into the
cars.

Most of the Land Rover enthusiasts who came to the recent event were
people who just loved to drive their Land Rovers, maintain them to their
levels of time and interest and sometimes upgrade them with extra off
road accessories. The age range, skewed sharply towards the younger
owners [some with their spouses, S.O.'s and kids], tells me that there's
a healthy infusion into the enthusiast world of Land Rovers - and they
know and recognize the classic Rovers, too.

A glance at high school/college parking lots, teen movies and magazines,
television shows and videos shows that classic cars can hold their
interest but not if the whole point is just posing with the car. They
want to drive them, look cool in them, enjoy them, customize them and
fuss with them.

So what do we offer through CORSA? A convention that requires hundreds
of dollars in gas, hotel/camping fees, meals, etc., to attend - let
alone getting time off work to go. Any music? Any funky competitions?
Anything that shows how cool it is to own my car, even if it is scruffy
in places?

We offer a magazine [to which I've contributed] whose costs dictate that
the insides must be in black and white. The articles skew towards the
memoir [I'm guilty of this] or "how I won the trophy," and not enough of
how cool it is to own or drive a Corvair [not guilty of this charge], or
how easy and affordable it is to get into a Corvair, or fun things I've
done in my Corvair, or the pleasure of driving the car.

The Corvair story is a great one, as challenging in its time as the
"hybrid" rush is right now. Are we telling this story to students, 20
and 30-somethings? Not really. Rear engine, rear wheel drive,
independent rear suspension cars at economy car prices would be akin to
finding that your Honda Fit, Chevy Aveo, or Toyota Yaris was actually a
hot-ticket car that was cool to drive and cool to be seen in! The
Corvair was - and is - the newcomers are not. The new sport/economy cars
are as embarrassing to them as your folks' station wagon was to you.

There's no need to pull a Mitt Romney and talk hip-hop to stunned and
baffled kids. But we could see to it that tech schools and colleges have
access to Corvairs to learn about them. We can continue to make certain
that auto enthusiasts of all ages see our cars by driving them
everywhere, not just sticking them in the garage until an event. We can
offer them for homecoming parades, winter carnivals, hometown events. We
could contact local newspapers and invite their reporters to cover our
local chapter events - but only if we do something significant for the
community.

The Communique could look for younger contributors who reflect a broader
range of those interested in Corvairs. I edit a national magazine for
Land Rover enthusiasts and I've worked hard to find younger writers,
female writers, and create new columns and commentaries for them. Let's
get their photos and stories out there, and then let's get more copies
of the magazine to Autozones, NAPA's, etc., schools and colleges.

The website could be freshened [ or made more entertaining by
contributions from younger contributors] so that it invites viewership
to encourage membership. Why can't we link to all the YouTube Corvair
entries? Why can't more recent issues of the Communique be available
online? Why can't the website have links to any member who wants to
publicize their professional services, personal interests or avocations,
through links to thei websites or MySpace pages?

These are not shifts that should deter current members from remaining
active and interested in the club. They might signal to younger members
that CORSA is for them, too. Remember that clubs everywhere are
diminishing in number but that enthusiasm for many niche interests
remains high and active.

The CORSA Board and officers do yeoman service for the club, and I for
one, am grateful for their willingness to serve. I hope they can make
some time to explore what CORSA can do for younger members, and how they
can continue to encourage local chapters and unaffiliated clubs promote
Corvair ownership.

Maybe it's time to revive the "I love my Corvair" bumper stickers :)

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME 04863

'66 Corvair Monza Coupe 110/4
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" [2]