<VV> FC gas heater concerns

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Tue Feb 19 01:18:42 EST 2008

Daniel asked: While restoring/modifying my GB 64, I decided to go for a gas
heater instead of the original direct air heater so, bought one (will get it
in about 3-4 weeks). Never have had a gas heater so, I have no idea if there
is some ducting to warm the middle area (as the other one) or if all the
heat exits on the front. I installed the electric fuel pump just behind the
gas tank and put a tee to provide gas for the gas heater but, I'm not sure
if the right steel tubing is 3/16" , is it ?
   Do somebody have pictures of an installed gas heater to share ?

Craig replies:
I haven't installed a gas heater in a very long time, but I do have a couple
of thoughts for you:
One, there are no vents for the middle of the van.  All the heat exits under
(heater function) or on top (defrost) of the dash.  Having said that, know
that the unit can easily cook everyone in the vehicle.
Two, I can't tell you the diameter of the fuel line (though I could check
one of my shelf units if need be) but know this: the gas tee at the fuel
neck is SPECIAL - it is a pressure regulator.  Flow comes from the fuel
pump, enters the regulator. Fuel at the correct pressure goes to the heater
and excess fuel is spilled to the filler neck (tank).  Make sure you use the
factory regulator/tee or another regulator that's set to the correct
pressure.
Three: When I installed the gas heater in my GB, I left the air heater in
place so I had TWO heaters, one for the back and one for the front.
Craig Nicol citing ancient history (70's)

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
6:49 PM