<VV> Cutting Old Blank Keys

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Feb 20 16:44:01 EST 2008

I have the Curtis hand held code cutter I use to make perfect keys from
blanks. I also have a Curtis cutting wheel duplicating machine, but
hardly ever use that for GM Ford or Mopar keys since I can look up the
codes and cut them on the hand held tools. I CAN use a measuring gage to
get the code from an existing key. You must allow for the wear to get a
good code.

OK, so these are not normal home tools! ggggg

A local locksmith we use for government keys has several old style
cutting wheel duplicators on the workbench that they use all the time.
Not everyone has gone the Home Depot magic machine route. But those
stores that don't employ locksmith type people sure have. However I
noticed a pharmacy in Richmond, VA still uses the old duplicator style.
I guess the owner uses it himself. ggg

BTW, a paper clip is all you need to get a code for your ignition lock.
Trunk locks are harder.

I will offer again to code cut keys on my Curtis B-10 and 11 blanks or
your GM (Briggs & Stratton) blanks.

Frank DuVal